Georgia planter and colonial agent.
Resided in Granville County, South Carolina, where he served in the militia and as a justice of the peace (1756). Moved to Georgia in late 1750s. Served as surveyor and auditor general, a member (and briefly Speaker) of the Assembly, and member of the Council. Appointed alternate agent for Georgia, with power to act in Franklin’s absence (1773). Moved to England (c. 1773). Held minor officers in the Board of Trade (1777-87).